Toilet Paper Roll Redesign
Toilet Paper Roll
People can't imagine living without toilet paper in the world and we use toilet paper for a variety of reasons e.g. wiping up spills, removing makeup, nose care, bathroom hygiene and cleaning chores. But people are prone to put toilet paper on table or put kitchen paper towel near sink in kitchen without putting it in toilet roll holder or toilet tissue reserve canister. The dust, bacteria, water or oil stain would easily attach to bottom surface of toilet paper.
UNIQUE PROPERTIES / PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Turn paper roll upside down, make dust go away! New toilet paper roll is made from disinfected recycling paper pulp. Don’t purchase toilet roll holder, because toilet paper roll is the best holder. After toilet paper is used up, compressible structure design makes users press down on toilet paper roll without effort and reduce waste size. The design draws the public attention to care more about the hygiene and environmental protection issue.
OPERATION / FLOW / INTERACTION:
1. Tear toilet paper roll inside with precut dash line.
2. Turn bottom part upside down and then put it back. The wavy part should be visible outside the toilet paper roll.
3. Now it becomes a toilet paper roll stand.
4. After using toilet paper, easily compress the wavy part to make paper roll flatten in order to reduce the waste.
PROJECT DURATION AND LOCATION:
The team decide the date placed in distribution is in 2015 once fully understand toilet paper manufacturing process. Set headquarter in Shanghai, China and plan to make China as primary market.
2015 ─ IDEA, Finalist ─ Product Designs
2015 ─ Yanko Design, Publication ─ Bathroom, Product Design
2015 ─ Tuvie: Modern Industrial Design and Future Technology, Publication ─ Accessories
PRODUCTION / REALIZATION TECHNOLOGY:
1. Toilet paper roll: Toilet paper roll is made from disinfected and cost-free recycling paper pulp.
2. Toilet paper: Toilet paper is generally made from new or "virgin" paper, using a combination of softwood and hardwood trees. Softwood trees such as Southern pines and Douglas firs have long fibers that wrap around each other; this gives paper strength. Hardwood trees like gum, maple and oak have shorter fibers that make a softer paper. Toilet paper is generally a combination of approximately 70% hardwood and 30% softwood. (Reference from How Products Are Made)
SPECIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL PROPERTIES:
Size: (length, width, height) = (110 mm, 110 mm, 100 mm)
Weight: 1000g / toilet paper roll
Toilet Paper, Toilet Paper Roll, Packaging, Sheng-Hung Lee
Gradation of Solutions
1. Product Level: Toilet paper roll is made from disinfected cost-free recycling paper pulp not from brand-new cardboard, so it is indeed an eco-friendly and green product design work.
2. Experience Level: Do not need to purchase any external part to make a toilet paper stand or put a toilet paper in toilet roll holder or tissue reserve canister. With smart design solution, toilet paper roll itself is the best toilet paper stand to keep the dust go away.
3. Service Level: After toilet paper is used up, easy compressible structure design makes users press down on toilet paper roll without effort. Because it does reduce the waste size, it let cleaning people clean and recycle material easily.
4. Perception Level: Toilet paper roll design draws the public attention to care more about hygiene and environmental protection issue.
The team identify three key scenarios that we view as the design challenges:
1. Put toilet paper or kitchen paper towel on the kitchen table without putting in proper toilet container e.g. the toilet roll holder or toilet tissue reserve canister. It possibly could make dust on toilet paper or make kitchen paper towel get oil stain easily.
2. Put toilet paper on the chair, sofa or any place near you randomly after using it every time. It possibly would make the bottom surface of toilet paper dirty and might be stuck people or pet’s hair in it.
3. If the toilet paper or kitchen paper towel table don’t put in proper toilet container e.g. the toilet roll holder or toilet tissue reserve canister, when people accidently overturn the liquid e.g. spill water on table, it would have highly chance to make the whole toilet paper or kitchen paper towel get damp.
TEAM MEMBERS (4) :
Industrial Designer: Sheng-Hung Lee, Design Strategist: Josipa Dodig, Advisor: Chris Hosmer (Managing Director of Continuum China) and Advisor: Brian Wen (Managing Principal of Continuum China)
1. Model Credits: Pu Ten Product Model Making Company
2. Photo Credits: 3 Studio Shanghai