Concept of adaptable jewelry
How to have an infinity of jewels, of each color, taking a minimum place for travel, and spending a minimum of money? I needed to find an answer to this question. During 20 years, loving so much jewels, I bought a lot of jewels, spending a lot of money!
UNIQUE PROPERTIES / PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Adaptable jewelry using toys building bricks as base for the modularity. Allows to change the jewel color without limit. Clasps are done with these bricks, and so are completely integrated in the jewel. The degree of interchangeability of pieces is high : allows to reuse bricks from one jewel to an other. When you reuse a brick covered with a beautiful diamond, it is the same as you could reuse your solitaire in a lot of jewels! This concept is as well for high fashion jewelry than for luxurious or ready-to-wear jewelry.
OPERATION / FLOW / INTERACTION:
With Jewel Box, you can do, undo and redo each time other jewels. To do this, it is exactly the same manipulations as when a child build houses or cars with toys building bricks. I have also developed a toy version of Jewel Box, where the architecture of the jewel is not defined but has to be created by the child. I do not try to sale it now because of marketing reasons, first I have to commercialize the jewels and secondly the toys. So you enjoy twice your jewel : wearing it and playing with it! Also, if you want, you can add pieces from your old toys. If you have one very expensive brick (with diamonds), you can reuse it in a lot of various jewels. It changes completely the relation to the jewel as sign of wealth. Effectively, with only one expensive brick, you can wear a lot of various expensive jewels!
PROJECT DURATION AND LOCATION:
This project started in september 2010. It will never finish!
PRODUCTION / REALIZATION TECHNOLOGY:
The present jewels are hand made, using plastic building bricks like lego. Holes are done on these bricks to be attached at the chain to create the jewel architecture. Cover plates are original plastic building bricks or silver bricks made from a wax technique. These are only prototypes. For an industrial production, plastic will be changed to can support perfume and cosmetics. Also, the back of jewels will be smooth, as explained in the attached document. So, for example, having two faces elements, we will be able to do sautoirs.
SPECIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL PROPERTIES:
Jewel Box needs a adapted packaging, because of the modularity. Presently, each Jewel Box is sale with a lot of pieces to change the jewel color.
I have not developed a professional packaging for Jewel Box, for several reasons : 1) packaging is an other job, for which I have not the knowledge 2)The packaging will depend on the company which will buy the concept, so I'll not invest for it because at this time I do not know which will be this company.
Size of jewels : compatible with the original lego bricks.
jewelry, adaptable, building, bricks, concept
- Type of research : conceptual research with after creation of prototypes. I wanted to create a new technology for adaptability, with the following criteria : to reuse an existing technology of building (as engineer, why to redo the world? I prefer to reuse what is already existing! ) and to obtain a really open concept. More, this technology had to be: easy to find, not expensive, easy to customize. With all this criteria and also esthetics criteria I choose to do my first prototypes with bricks like Lego. The result was what I hoped, so I continued!
- Research objectives : to create new adaptable jewelry. I find that existing modular jewelry are not enough open concepts, to far from the beauty of the simplicity. For me, a good adaptable jewelry concept has to respond to these criteria : open concept (to allow a lot of developments), great degree of interchangeability (not only change the bead on a ring or a ring on a watch), after the start, low production cost.
- Methodology : 1) theoretical research, based only on logic, mathematics and engineering 2) Creation of the first one prototypes 3) legal protection : for this, mathematical study of all the geometric configurations possible to protect by models the most important configurations 4) creations of jewels for different usages : ready-to-wear, high fashion, and also jewels with silver bricks and diamond 5) I want to continue to develop the research with other materials, but for it I need money!
- Data Collection and research tools used : to study what is already existing : research on internet and visit of INHORGENTA (jewelry fair in Germany). To do the prototypes : mainly use of industrial silver chains, toys building bricks and a little drill.
Market study : sale of Jewel Box in my area and observation of the reacts.
- Results of prototypes : I can do jewels as well for ready-to-wear than for catwalk.
Result of the market study : In Belgium, only artists, intellectuals and people thinking "out of the box" buy it. Testing of Jewel Box with perfumes and cosmetics : plastic does not endure it. I'll have to change of plastic for the industrial production.
- Conclusion : Jewel Box seems really to be an avant-garde concept. Advantage : I've the pleasure to have really done an innovation. Disadvantage : product difficult to sale without a consequent marketing. I know that I'll have perhaps to wait 10 years before to see Jewel Box in production!
Presently, the obstacles overcomed :
- legal aspects with Lego : solved (Jewel Box is using the functionality of the toys building bricks, not the three-dimensional brand, plots are not visible when the jewel is composed - the functionality of these bricks is now public, this patent is old enough)
- legal aspect, protection of Jewel Box : solved for Europe : protected via a lot of models, each being part of jewel.
- legal aspects : for financial reasons, no protection out of Europe
- At this time, impossible to start the project : I can not find a big company to start the project with me. Even in Germany, where the feeling to Jewel Box is good. I think that it is because this project is expensive to start, even if after, benefits could be very high and for a long time! This crisis time is not good to start such a project.
- In countries like Belgium or France : Jewel Box seems to be to much avant-garde, needs an expensive marketing to educate people to this design (actually, many people say that it is for children, only people "thinking out of the box" like it)
- Coming from IT, I have a big challenge : to develop contacts with people in the jewelry and the design.
TEAM MEMBERS (2) :
R&D : Anne Dumont - Ottignies - BELGIUM and Attorney : Serge FLECIJN - Brussels - BELGIUM
Anne Dumont, 2013.