twist and turn
1. The first inspiration is movement and the subsequent resulting changes in the appearance of the ring. The design of a ring is usually static - here it is flexible and suspenseful. This results in interesting adaptations to the finger and the wearer.
2. The second inspiration is contrast and the resulting tension. Contrasts can be found in the strength of the two ring shanks, in the color of the material and texture of the softly rounded metal and the clear surfaces of the cut gems.
UNIQUE PROPERTIES / PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
The concept of Twist and Turn rings with the modules:
1. Strong ring shanks, movable combined with
2. thin circlet and on it fastend
3. a high quality gemstone
offers high flexibility in design with clear recognizability. Each ring is a unique Creation.
OPERATION / FLOW / INTERACTION:
The concept of Twist and Turn rings is a safe and durable way to set a gem stone in a ring. Since the ring shank is movable, the concept is unique.
Each customer’s individual wishes will be granted by their choice of gem stones. The production is handmade, precision and skill are an absolute requirement.
PROJECT DURATION AND LOCATION:
The first Twist and Turn rings were presented at the exhibition „Ring und Reif“ (ring and circlet) in Germany in 1989 . A design patent protection has been obtained.
They were presented at the design fairs in Frankfurt (Tendence, Ambiente) and Munich (Inhorgenta) in the years 1990 to 1995.
This was followed by other exhibitions:
Since 1990, 1-2 annual exhibitions in our own workshop rooms as well as further exhibitions at jewelery galleries across Germany.
Since 2000 frequent presentations in our own store in exclusive exhibitions.
PRODUCTION / REALIZATION TECHNOLOGY:
The material from which the Twist and Turn rings are made, may consist of:
• 750 gold in the colors yellow, white, rose or red,
• 925 Silver
combined with its high-quality colored gemstones in various cuts or diamonds.
The mix of materials makes the design exciting and the movable ring shank creates a new and interesting ring every time. The design is timeless because it combines classic and modern elements. By choosing an exclusive gemstone the design is always trendy.
SPECIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL PROPERTIES:
Three versions are available:
1. 4mm ring with 1.4mm-circlet or 1,8-2mm-circlet
2. 4.5mm ring with 1.4mm-circlet or 1,8-2mm-circlet
3. 5mm ring with 1.4mm-circlet or 1,8-2mm-circlet
Depending on the combination of materials different production methods are applied, wich determines the differences in thickness of the thin circlet.
Ring, mobile, gemstones, handmade, Twist and Turn, flexible, modern, unique
The theme of movement in jewelry has always been of interest. Movement means change, makes jewelry vibrant and attractive. So far, only motion through eyelet or hinge connections was possible. Later kinetic jewelry was developed on a ball bearing base. However a rotation around its own slightly offset axis does not exist - and this is realized in the Twist and Turn rings.
The challenge lies in the technical implementation: There has to be a hole drilled in the thick ring shank to guide the thin circlet. This must have a curve and it is not possible to drill around a corner. The curved guide is made possible by milling a curve. This milling for the thinner circlet has to be done in a corresponding radius and angle. Thereafter the divided thin circlet is inserted into the milled guide and mounted. During installation it is important to avoid a rigid connection.
TEAM MEMBERS (2) :
Beate Schellhas and Martin Schellhas
Beate Schellhas, 2015.