Sierra - Kindle Living
Outdoor Patio Heater
To create a Cinderella transformation for a product that, until now, has been completely overlooked.
To introduced a design aesthetics where there was none.
To elevate an uninspired functional object into a sculptural piece that speaks of design, style, and desire.
UNIQUE PROPERTIES / PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Sierra transformed the unattractive, long outdated, uninspired approach of outdoor heating and given it a sense of beauty and elegance never before offered in an outdoor patio heater.
It is style and glamour, ambiance and inspiration, heat, scale, craftsmanship and romance. It is where every detail matters, and where we are inspired because of it.
OPERATION / FLOW / INTERACTION:
• Beautiful design and construction resulting in groundbreaking transformation
• Greatly improved, more uniform and pleasant, heating performance
• Simple operation, push button electric start
• Materials that are at once handsome, durable, sustainable, and require minimum maintenance
• Uncompromising commercial grade build with highly efficient heating performance
• Handcrafted in California by master craftsmen
• Made with sustainable grown, hand hewn African Mahogany
• Multiple Patents
PROJECT DURATION AND LOCATION:
18 months of research and ideation, with utility and design patents filled on August of 2008. Testing took the better part of 2-1/2 years, with the first Kindle Living Heater (Allison) being introduced at the end of 2010. Since then we have expanded our range of products; and in 2013 we proudly introduced Sierra, our most luxurious model to date.
Design, manufacture, and operations for Kindle Living are based out of Los Angeles.
FITS BEST INTO CATEGORY:
Furniture, Decorative Items and Homeware Design
PRODUCTION / REALIZATION TECHNOLOGY:
Sierra Kindle Heater is made from sustainably grown African Mahogany, hand hewn with individually carved finger joints, oil rub finish, and fitted to a laser cut steel frame.
Sculptural appeal aside, its design results in a more effective heating canopy. Instead of the heat dissipating as it rises, the shade canopies the heat and directs it downward, with a chimney-like effect, enveloping with a consistent blanket of warmth. It is easy to operate at the push of an electric igniter button.
SPECIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL PROPERTIES:
• Handmade from sustainably grown African Mahogany, composite resins, carbon fiber Firewall shade lining, aluminum, steel, and stainless steel frames, and brass hardware.
• Dimensions 1140 x 1140 x 257 mm (W x D x H); Weight 80 Kg plus (optional) gas tank
• Shipping Box Size 1160 x 1160 x 2600 mm (W x D x H); Shipping Weight 110 Kg
• CSA, UL, CE, and AGA Certified heaters
• Multiple Patents
• All dimensions and weights are approximate
Kindle Living, Sierra Kindle, Patio Heater, Heater Lamp, Heater Lamp Design
Patio heaters were initially invented in the early 1960s in Southern California. Despite their enormous worldwide success, little meaningful development has taken place in over 50 years except for making the product cheap and virtually disposable.
Multiple worldwide patents have now confirmed our reinvention of the outdoor patio heater, redefining what design savvy individuals should come to expect and enjoy from this type of products.
Overcoming the aesthetic and mechanical shortcomings of the traditional, "mushroom" type, outdoor patio heater while meeting the stringent and varied safety standards. This process required that new materials and manufacturing techniques be created or adapted. For example, our patented Firewall shade liner can withstand burst of heat in excess of 1000C while effectively reflecting the infrared energy in a manner that greatly improves user comfort by providing a more even blanket of heat.
TEAM MEMBERS (1) :
Daniel Wedick & Team Kindle Living