Inspired by the flow of water through coffee and coffee through portafilter, Stream Beam has its unique form in a streamline yet modern fashion. Flowing and glowing at the same time, it is created to appeal to senses.
UNIQUE PROPERTIES / PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Stream Beam Espresso Maker is designed for home baristas that want luxury and simplicity at the same time. Reflecting sensual process of coffee making, Stream Beam gives response to its users with changing colors. Controlled via its portafilter, it blends traditional coffee making techniques with modern and technological ways. Designed for experienced users that are open to discoveries, Stream Beam aims to encourage its users to perfect their shots and coffees with uncertainty and lets user to try and discover new ways. Emphasizing visual and tangible aesthetics, surfaces are created to touch and look at. Sensuality of coffee making process are enhanced with a multilayered experience. With thermochromic surfaces, unique marks are created each time a coffee is made. Stream Beam Espresso Maker offers a social and artistic way of coffee making is offered, where a barista can perform his act in front of an audience.
As a luxurious and technologically advanced product, Stream Beam is intended for experienced users that want to experiment their skills with simplicity. Like example of Leica cameras in photography, it aims to offer a visually superior product for contemporary kitchens with its streamlined sculpture look. Satisfying its user as a high-end espresso maker, with its usage qualities and sensual responses.
OPERATION / FLOW / INTERACTION:
1. Device is started by pressing on touch surface of controller for a couple of seconds. Lights start to glow both on controller and device.
2. Water level can be seen through transparent container. If below minimum, light on device blinks as a caution and it cannot be used before filling.
3. When system is heated and ready for brewing, light on device become a fuller circle.
When hot water is circulated in device, top surface is affected by heat and marks are created on surface that circulates around main light.
On side part, coffee steam is collected and water drips also create a texture with heat. This texture and amount of color change is affected by user’s preferences, such as temperature, pressure, sequence time and process repeats.
4. Selected coffee or pods are placed in portafilter. For tampering, it is put on place. When controller meets device, light on controller lightens fully for user to put finger on.
A pressure sensor is activated for tampering, while user holds his finger and turns controller.
5. Coffee is tampered by an inner turning screw mechanism. After desired amount is set, button is released and controller is fixed on device.
Circular light is activated and lights up clockwise to indicate hardening.
6. Coffee is tampered by an inner turning screw mechanism. After desired amount is set, button is released and controller is fixed on device.
7. Button is pushed once for an automated time sequence of pouring. Or user can hold push button for a manual time. This can be set as a preference.
After a long day, one cup of coffee leaves marks with brewing, whereas for a group of friends, device and marks remain hot for a while.
8. For steaming action, piece is hold and pulled downwards. Light on device scales down to a point to indicate steam mode.
Upper piece of nozzle is press squeezed for frothing the milk. Again, steam creates marks on side part.
Espresso and milk can be used for different blends and machine is ready for new shots. With each continuing process, surfaces get hotter and colorful.
Visual language of product is designed with clean and bold lines to guide user to limited controls. Etchings and bumps are provided where user should have its hands on the product. Surfaces let handling and grasping. Also interface controls and lights provides a simple order for sequence and feedback. Pressing and touching allows user to control actions.
PROJECT DURATION AND LOCATION:
FITS BEST INTO CATEGORY:
Home Appliances Design
PRODUCTION / REALIZATION TECHNOLOGY:
TUIs are included in product in order to provide a combination of digital and tangible interfaces at the same time. Touch surfaces along LED lights to communicate product status beneath the surface are used. Ambient light colors offers both functionality and adds to product environment and experience. Gestures are enabled for smoother movements. A pressure sensor helps with tampering action. Also rechargeable batteries are placed within portafilter-control. Alongside technologies, material choices are also aimed at enhancing the experience of coffee making. With glossy plastics, stainless surfaces with chromes finishes and transparent areas, product stands as a luxury appliance. Thermochromic materials are used on the top and front surfaces to deliver a unique experience each time with heat.
SPECIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL PROPERTIES:
Challenge was to create a home barista experience where interaction between product and user should be designed to offer a unique way of making coffee.
TEAM MEMBERS (1) :
Nur Yıldırım, 2012.