Brick cladding system
Our inspiration is a result of a quality market research about the use of facade bricks in the current building industry. Every architect wants to be creative and leave his ‘signature’ on a building. But in traditional brickwork you are bound by the possibilities and restrictions of bricklaying. Thanks to our R&D department we developed a product with limitless opportunities, named Signa "creative architecture, signed brick".
UNIQUE PROPERTIES / PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
By developing a precast panel, where durable brick slips are mounted onto a weather-resistant stone sheet, architects now have an unprecedented freedom to design the most creative brick patterns.
• The SIGNA carrier is a dimensionally stable and weatherproof stone plate.
• The Vandersanden brick slips are bonded to the supporting plate in the factory.
• A huge array of choices in all sizes and colours of the Vandersanden range, including all
• 3D effects can be created.
• SIGNA can be installed on different rear structures, e.g. aluminum or wood.
OPERATION / FLOW / INTERACTION:
1) The architect creates a brick slip design in co-operation with Vandersanden Group.
2) Vandersanden Group makes the technical drawings for production and installation in co-orporation with the partner for the carrier system.
3) The production of the panels (cutting brick slips, carrier plate, gluing of slips, mounting hooks, ...) will be done in factory.
4) After packaging, Vandersanden Group will transport the panel to the job site.
5) A specialized company will install the panels onto the wall.
PROJECT DURATION AND LOCATION:
The project started in june 2012 en finished in february 2013. It was exhibited for the first time on Belgiums largest building trade fair: Batibouw in Brussels.
FITS BEST INTO CATEGORY:
Building Materials, Construction Components, Structures & Systems Design
PRODUCTION / REALIZATION TECHNOLOGY:
Brick slips are made/cut of original facing bricks and as such have the same characteristics as the facing bricks in accordance with the Belgian Benor and European CE standards. They are also lightweight and very easy to handle. The size of the brick slips depend on the design of the architect.
A carrier, wich can be mounted to a wall, has to carry the brick slips. A suitable, strong and weather resistant glue attaches the slips to the substrate.
The carrier is of the type 'Rockpanel';, a stone panel which has the same properties as a brick? The panel is weather resistant and dimension stable.
SPECIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL PROPERTIES:
Brick slips: made of full standard handformed bricks with following dimensions (mm):
- 190 x 9 x 5
- 190 x 9 x 6,5
- 210 x 10 x 5
- 210 x 10 x 6,5
Carrier plate: Cut out of Rockpanel stone plates of 3050 x 1200 mm.
The measurements will depend on the weight and pattern of the chosen design.
The brick slips are glued on the carrier with a 2-component glue.
Brick, panel, cladding system, design, architecture, endless possibilities, facade, jointless, creative, combinations
The most important aspect of the technical research was the search for companies with a suitable carrier plate and companies who could deliver appropriate gluing systems. The cladding system is intended for external use, so it has to be weatherproof.
With internal and externals testing, done by TCKI, the Dutch research institute for building materials, ceramics and clay (pulling tests, weathering tests, UV testing) , Vandersanden Group has found the right components for this product.
Finding the right components which are weather resistant, suitable for the building industry and excellent matching with our product "brick slips".
TEAM MEMBERS (3) :
Jo Wouters, Maarten Wauters and Maarten Leën
Vandersanden Group, 2012.