Wing Back Chair
Victoria II is inspired by traditional wing chair but twisted with a modern taste by adding fashion elements found in corsets and high heels.
UNIQUE PROPERTIES / PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Wing back chair origins from Europe in late 1700s Victoria Era and its function is to protect the delicate skin of gentrified ladies from the heat of a fireplace. This chair is a reinterpretation of romanticism featured in Victoria Era and reconstruction of elegancy by borrowing the corset elements from the gentrified ladies. In this piece, the pattern is inspired by laceand interpreted with geometric shape and vivid colors. Victoria II translates modern and fashion into a classic wing chair while the female fashion details add a touch of sexy.
OPERATION / FLOW / INTERACTION:
PROJECT DURATION AND LOCATION:
The project started in January 2012 in Savannah,GA, US and finished in March, and was exhibited in Turchin Center for the Visual Arts, Boone, NC, US in April 2012.
FITS BEST INTO CATEGORY:
Furniture, Decorative Items and Homeware Design
PRODUCTION / REALIZATION TECHNOLOGY:
• Materials: hardwood, plywood, screen print fabric, aluminum
• Eight-way hand-tied coils and wire springs for seating comfort and superior suspension
• Reinforced stress joints with corner blocks, high pressure stapling, and wood glue
• Parrelli webbing wings and cotton/rayon-blend upholstery
• Hand sewn piping and seams using traditional lockstitch
• Hand brushed aluminum legs with wax coating
• Original lace back design with matching leather strings
• Upholstered in 100% Cotton and customized designer pattern
SPECIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL PROPERTIES:
Dimensions: 660 mm W x 685 mm D x 1120mm H
Seat Height: 430 mm
Arm Height: 660 mm
Inside Seating: 510mm x 530mm
wing chair, fashion, reinterpretation, upholstery, traditional, craftsmanship
TEAM MEMBERS (1) :
Xin Wen, 2012.